Thursday, October 27, 2011

Scottish Ale on Tap, Smoked Brown Fermenting

Last weekend and this week have been busy at the home brewery.  With the help of some friends, I finished off the Bohemian Pilsner.  This opened up a tap for my Scottish 60/-.

Not the best picture, but if you want a better look your just going to have to stop by and see it.  This beer, in my opinion, fits the style quite well. 

Aroma : Nice light malty smell with a hint of earthiness to it.
Appearance: Dark Amber with a small off-white head.
Flavor: Pronounced malty flavor with a hint of smokey/peaty trailing right behind it.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

I've brewed this once before as an extract kit from MidWest Supplies and both the extract and all-grain are excellent. 

I also brewed my Smoked American Brown Ale this weekend.  I changed up the recipe a little from when I last posted about it.
  • 3.5lbs - German Pilsner Malt
  • 3.5lbs- Marris Otter
  • 2lbs - Home smoked malt (Hickory)
  • 8oz - Home toasted malt (60min @ 350F)
  • 8oz - Crystal 60L
  • 8oz - Pale Chocholate
  • 8oz - Special B
  • 0.5oz - Cascade (First Wort Hopped @90 minutes)
  • 0.5oz - Centennial Hops (60 minutes)
  • 0.5oz - Centennial Hops (15 minutes)
  • 0.5oz - Cascade (First Wort Hopped @2 minutes)
  • Wyeast 1332 - Northwest Ale
This was a single infusion mash at 154F for 60 minutes with a 90 minute boil.  BeerSmith is estimating this to be:

  • OG - 1.058
  • Bitterness - 38 IBUs
  • Color - 24 SRM
  • ABV - 5.1%
This is also the first beer in which I reused washed yeast.  The yeast have been in the refrigerator for 3 months, so I made a 1.5L starter.  The yeast were so active they actually made it out of my 2L Erlenmeyer flask.  It's a good think I used aluminum foil to cover the flask instead of an airlock or I would have been in trouble.

I also kegged the Apfelwein I made on September 10th.  That gave it 6 weeks in the fermenter.  My hope is that it will be ready in two weeks for our annual Thanksgiving party at work.  I'm not holding my breath on this since its ABV is around 9% and it usually takes a couple more months to age.  If it isn't ready, I can always take the APA I brewed in the middle of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment